Thursday, January 31, 2013

2013: Striving for...


This post is my January entry in the DSMA Blog Carnival.  If you’d like to participate too, you can get all of the information at http://diabetessocmed.com/2013/january-dsma-blog-carnival-2/


New Year with Diabetes: Striving for __________ in 2013!

What I'm striving for this year is not directly related to diabetes but I've been thinking about this prompt for the better part of the month and have been wanting to touch on it.

I'm striving for more positivity in my life.

Ever feel like society has forgotten its manners?

Or people in general aren't as courteous towards each other?

Me too.

I've really started noticing it more and more this past year. It's as though no one has time to say "excuse me" or give a friendly wave in traffic when some one's let you into a long line. People can be so quick to argue and be rude. It's the little things that I notice. I'm a firm believer of "what goes around, comes around". I've always believed that if I treat people the way I would want to be treated, that I would get the same treatment in return.  It just doesn't feel like that's the case anymore. And because I feel like few people care to be pleasant, I find myself not caring any more either. It feels like a lost cause.

I work in fairly negative work environment also but I love my job. It's the kind of job that can test your faith in humanity and it's easy to have the negativity of the world rub off on you. 

I'm tired of all the negativity and I have let it get the better of me. 

I want to find a way not to worry about whether some one else is having a bad day, or let their moods affect my day or life. It can be tough to stay positive and upbeat sometimes, but I'm determined to find a way. Sometimes we don't have a choice in choosing who we spend our days with, so simply avoiding negative people is not a solution. I have to find a way to make the best of it, for my own sanity.

So, like I said, this is not directly related to diabetes. But let's be honest, overall well-being can't hurt anything.






4 comments:

  1. This is perfect!! I opened Facebook this morning and felt like everything I read was negative and critical, and that's sad. I too am going to work on bringing positivity to my friends and to strangers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as though social media has played a big role in the amount of negativity we're exposed to. It can be such a great resource for certain things (hello DOC!!!!!) but it can also be a platform for people to spread negativity.

      Delete
  2. I think positivity is a perfect thing to look for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so totally hear you on this.
    Especially this time of year I notice too many people just being grumpy negative party poopers.
    I mean, I'm down too but I don't project it outwards. Instead I quietly seeth and mope (just kidding).
    :)

    ReplyDelete