"Recently various petitions have been circulating the Diabetes Online Community, so today let’s pretend to write our own. Tell us who you would write the petition to – a person, an organization, even an object (animate or inanimate) - get creative!! What are you trying to change and what have you experienced that makes you want this change?"
The petition that I would love to get going would definitely be to my insurance company.
- You coverage amount sucks. Plain and simple. $1000/year for prescriptions is not nearly enough. This covers only a third of my supplies and my costs will likely continue to rise. The rest comes out of pocket for something that I require to stay alive every single day.
- Your $250/lifetime towards an insulin pump is an absolute slap in the face. One insulin pump will cost me $7000, plus about $250/month for supplies. I'll likely have to buy 2-3 insulin pumps in the remainder of my lifetime, but thanks for that $250 bucks!
- You need to cover every kind of insulin. I should not have to pay 100% out of pocket for my Lantus insulin. It is the most stable insulin for my needs and helps to keep my blood sugars stable even when I work nights.
And to disability, life, travel, and mortgage insurance companies:
- I hate that I can no longer apply for additional life insurance to protect those that I may leave behind.
- I hate that when I travel, I am no longer covered for any issues I may have that relate to my diabetes.
- I hate that I can't get term insurance on our new mortgage to protect us in the event I can't work for a period of time. I also find your "Rating Guide" highly inaccurate. I am already considered a "moderate risk" client and in 4 years I will be a "severe risk" client. I can't afford to pay your rates to protect us, which leaves me feeling vulnerable.
Please. It's time to get your act together.
We, the undersigned.